The mission of Urban Connoisseurs is to affect sustainable growth in the wine community by increasing the number of American winemakers of African descent in the US, create opportunities for the next generation to pursue various careers in the wine industry, and maintain brand and legacy for the Generation After Next. To that end, we
- Support winemakers of African descent who maintain high standards of sustainable practices in their wine making. Practices that are also sensitive to the environment and never compromising on quality of wines produced. We also support winemakers of African descent who give back to the wine making community through sharing best wine practices, scholarship donation, and internship opportunities to future American winemakers of African descent.
- Provide opportunities to enhance winegrower-to-winegrower and vintner-to-vintner education and collaboration, as well as mentorship, recognizing we are a community not an island unto ourselves.
- Work closely with winemakers of African descent who support legacy, and are willing to provide paid internships to the up and coming generation of Viticulturists and Enologists of African descent.
The vision of Urban Connoisseurs is to help grow the community of American winemakers of African descent by fifty percent within the next 10 years. We will obtain this through
- Vigorous marketing of the current brands.
- Providing mentor and education opportunities to those expressing interests in the wine industry.
- Workshops/Seminars specific to career opportunities in the wine industry, and winery and/or vineyard ownership.
- Establish The Black Winemakers Scholarship Fund (fall of 2020)
Urban Connoisseurs’ values are guided by the following:
- Support those who produce the best quality wine grapes and wine possible
- Support those winemakers who lead in protecting the environment and conserving natural resources for the Generation after Next
- Maintain long-term relationships with winemakers
- Support the economic and social well-being of winemakers, their employees, and families
- Respect for all who have traveled this challenging road, whether in success or failure
- Honor the American winemakers' of African descent entrepreneurial spirit
- Research and education as well as monitoring and evaluating existing practices to improve the community and grow