The mission of Urban Connoisseurs is to affect sustainable growth in the Black vintner community by increasing the number of Black Vintners in the US and abroad, create opportunities for the next generation to pursue various careers in the wine industry, and maintain brand and legacy for the Generation After Next. To that end, we
- Support vintners who maintain high standards of sustainable practices in their winemaking. Practices that are also sensitive to the environment and never compromising on quality of wines produced. We also support vintners who give back to the Black Vintner community through sharing best wine practices, scholarship donation, and internship opportunities.
- Provide opportunities to enhance winegrower-to-winegrower and vintner-to-vintner education and collaboration, as well as mentorship, recognizing we are a community not an island unto ourselves.
- Work closely with vintners who support legacy, and are willing to provide paid internships to the up and coming generation of Viticulturists and Enologists.
The vision of Urban Connoisseurs is to help grow the Black Vintner community by fifty percent within the next 10 years. We will obtain this through
- Vigorous marketing of the current brands.
- Providing mentor and education opportunities to those expressing interests in the wine industry.
- Workshops/Seminars specific to career opportunities in the wine industry, and winery and/or vineyard ownership.
- Promoting the John June Lewis, Sr. Fund (managed by UNCF, 2019)
Urban Connoisseurs’ values are guided by the following:
- Support those who produce the best quality wine grapes and wine possible
- Support those vintners who lead in protecting the environment and conserving natural resources for the Generation after Next
- Maintain long-term relationships with vintners
- Support the economic and social well-being of vintners, their employees, and families
- Respect for all who have traveled this challenging road, whether in success or failure
- Honor the Black Vintner’s entrepreneurial spirit
- Research and education as well as monitoring and evaluating existing practices to improve the community and grow